College History – New Road, 1864–1926
New Road building, viewed from Trinity Road (engraving 1899)
Copyright © Southampton City Council
New Road (c.1958)
Scanned from Spooner History
- The School moved to New Road, the first premises wholly owned and especially built for the School.
- In 1874, the Government School Commissioners carried out an enquiry into the future of the 'Charity School' and how it could fit into the national and local pattern of Board Schools (Elementary Schools).
- In the 18th and 19th centuries, academic education for girls was not taken very seriously. However, in 1858 Cheltenham Ladies College was founded to provide a real education rather than just 'accomplishments'. Southampton was one of the first towns to copy this idea when a former Cheltenham teacher, Miss Sherwood, founded the Southampton College and High School for Girls.
- Taunton's School was established as an Endowed School, to be called Taunton's Trade School with its own independent Board of Governors. It had Junior (7–12) and Senior (12–15) departments and was to provide "a sound education with special regard to Technical and Commercial training".
- Major building work was completed to extend the School. Actually, the School was virtually re-built, little remaining of the original structure. The main outline of the 1878 building remained for the rest of its life, despite further alterations and extensions.
- The Southampton College and High School for Girls had expanded and moved into larger premises in Moira Place. Girls were successfully entered for Oxford and Cambridge local examinations.
- Further additions were made to the New Road building, including a new, modern chemical laboratory and science lecture room.
- Taunton's again had to hire extra premises to cope with increasing numbers, five other sites were in use.
- The first Taunton's School Journal was published, recording news of events and examination successes at the School.
- The final additions were made to the New Road building to create the School familiar to all students of the first quarter of the 20th century.
- Local Authorities became responsible for secondary education in 1902 and Southampton Council decided to help fund a Girls School. The Grammar School for Girls was opened in 1907 in premises in Argyle Road that had previously housed the Pupil Teachers Centre. The Grammar School took over the function of the earlier college, but a quarter of its places were free to girls who passed the scholarship examination.
- Taunton's Trade School became a public Secondary School under the Board of Education and the name changed to Taunton's School. Admission was by selection at 11+, with at least 25% free places. Pressure of numbers required the purchase of a site for a new building at Highfield. Large pupil numbers and a shortage of Charity funds led to the problems being solved by passing control over to the Higher Education Committee of the County Borough of Southampton.
- Foundation Stone of new building laid at Highfield.